Beets have an earthy sweetness that becomes richer and deeper over the heat of the grill. These grilled beets are wrapped with fresh rosemary and lemon for a summery, aromatic side dish.
- 3 - 4 beets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Juice of ½ lemon (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean the beets well, then remove the greens if the beets still have them attached. Cut off the tough tops and root ends.
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel the beets. Cut them in half, then slice into half moon-shaped pieces.
- Toss with olive oil, garlic powder, rosemary, lemon juice, salt, and pepper until the beets are well coated.
- Use foil to wrap the beets tightly (see the photo below for reference). They will cook more quickly if the packet is flat and allows a bit of space between the pieces.
- When you are ready to grill, heat the grill and place the foil-wrapped packets over medium heat. Grill, flipping once or twice, for about 10 minutes, or until the beets reach the desired tenderness.
- Remove from heat, unwrap, and serve.
Beets will stain light-colored surfaces (and may turn your hands pink, too), so be careful while you prepare them!
Amount Per Serving Calories 85Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat .7gSodium 369mgCarbohydrates 12.6gFiber 2.8gSugar 9.6gProtein 1.9g